Please review the below Frequently Asked Questions. These questions and answers are subject to change and are updated frequently for clarification and improvement purposes. If you have additional software related questions, please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an explanation of terminology used throughout the OSL website, please visit our Glossary of Terms.To enhance your technical skills on software products available on the OSL web store and through UIT, please visit Online Learning Opportunities.
Please contact the Campus Help Desk at 801-581-4000 to have your password reset and your uNID verified, or visit the uNID Services Account Tools page for assistance. Our online ordering system uses the uNID to verify your identity and ensure that only authorized people order software licenses from us.
Some licenses allow for this, but others do not. There are three types of licenses.
- A 'Student' license allows you to install the software on your home computer or laptop. It is intended for personally owned computers and not for installation on any university owned computer. Sales tax is charged for a student license.
- A 'Personal Faculty/Staff' license allows you to install the software on your home computer or laptop. It is intended for personally owned computers and not for installation on any university owned computer. Sales tax is charged for a personal license.
- A 'University' license may or may not allow you to install the software on your home computer or laptops as well as your university or department owned computer. Some University licenses include 'work-at-home-rights' which allow you to use the software on a home computer only for University purposes. Sales tax is not charged for a University license.
Our system does not recognize you are eligible for the software if you receive one of the following messages:
- OSL web store
- Kivuto utah.onthehub.com
You cannot add this product to your cart
You must be a member of one of the following groups:
You are not eligible or your verification has expired. For details and to request additional eligibility, go to Your Eligibility.
You either are not eligible for the product(s) or you need to wait for your benefits to start.
- Students are eligible if they are currently enrolled in a degree-granting program at the University of Utah. You must be currently enrolled in at least one class which, when completed, will result in the awarding of credit hours verifiable through the Office of the Registrar. You must be enrolled at the time you purchase the software.
- The University Central Authentication Service (CAS) does not recognize new students as eligible until 7 days before classes begin. You can calculate eligibility dates by using the Academic Calendars.
- International Study Abroad students, Continuing Education students or students taking only non-credit classes are not eligible to purchase licenses.
- Current paid employees of the University of Utah are eligible. New employees need to wait three business days after their start date or ask their manager to designate someone to purchase it for them.
- Adjunct faculty, affiliates, contractors, emeriti, retirees or volunteers are not eligible.
Check your cart to verify you are purchasing the correct license type:
- OSL web store: Student License, Personal Faculty/Staff License, or University License
- onthehub.com: Verify you are purchasing the correct product for your eligibility. Students select
the Students tab. Employees select the Faculty/Staff tab.
Not all software is available as a download. Software that is available for download will have the term 'DOWNLOAD' in the product details page as one of the purchase options.
'No Media' is not a download, nor does it provide you with media. The 'No Media' option provides you with the license to use the software and/or continue Upgrade Protection on that software. For example, 'No Media' is used when purchasing licenses for several computers in a department and one set of media (disk) is used to install the software on all licensed machines.
Our 'store' is virtual and is available on any computer with Internet access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our web address is software.utah.edu. All purchases and shipment instructions are completed securely on line.
Please review the information on our website for Products Under Review.
The followings methods of payment are accepted:
|License Type||Credit Card||Purchasing Card||UShop Purchase Order|
State tax laws require us to charge sales tax on software for personal use. If you are paying with a Purchasing Card (PCard) for software that will be installed on a department owned or leased computer, please purchase a University license. Otherwise, you will be charged sales tax.
A UShop Purchase Order:
- may only be submitted by university employees and only for the purchase the University License type licenses.
- must not be used for the purchase of Student License and/or Personal Faculty/Staff License types.
- is not to be used when using a credit card or Purchasing Card (P-Card) as the payment method for an OSL order.
The UShop Marketplace system requires three roles to place a UShop Purchase Order. A Shopper, a Requisitioner and an Approver. In some cases, a person may be given multiple roles, however those roles are provided by the UShop system administrators, not OSL administrators. UShop training is provided on the UShop Marketplace website and is required to obtain a role. UShop Marketplace information is provided here.
A person placing an OSL order, who will be using the UShop Purchase Order as a payment method, will need to determine who their UShop Shopper, Requisitioner and Approver is so they can have a UShop purchase submitted to OSL to pay for the OSL order they will be placing in the OSL webstore.
After entering your OSL order in the OSL webstore, a UShop Purchase Order must be submitted from the UShop Marketplace system to OSL as payment for the OSL order. OSL orders paid for with a UShop Purchase Order are complete only when the UShop Purchase Order has been received by OSL and OSL has approved and updated the order in the OSL webstore, not the day you place the OSL order.
To start an OSL order, select Shop for Software.
To submit a UShop Purchase Order to OSL:
- Go to the UShop website.
- Select the UShop Marketplace - Click here to start shopping! Button.
- Login using your CAS uNID and Password and Duo Two-Factor Authentication process.
- Under Place an Order, select OSL (Office of Software Licensing) Software Purchase.
- Enter the OSL Order Number and the Total Order Amount in the provided boxes.
- If desired, upload a copy of your order from OSL using the attachment button.
- Click the green Go button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Click the green Proceed to Checkout button in the top right hand part of the screen.
- Select the Required field link under Acct Dist Shortcut.
- Enter the Acct Dist Shortcut, Account and A/U numbers.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You may also need to enter and save Ship To information
- Click on the Save button
- Click the green Submit Requisition button in the top right hand part of the screen
- You should now be on the Requisition Submitted screen and your Requisition is now
pending approval by your Approver.
IMPORTANT NOTE: At this point, both your OSL order and your UShop Purchase Requisition are pending
- You will need to have your Requistioner and Approver complete their process
- After the Approver has approved your UShop Purchase Order, the purchase order will be electronically submitted to OSL
After OSL receives your UShop Purchase Order, OSL will verify that the UShop Purchase Order and OSL order information match and then OSL will approve and update your OSL order.
After the OSL order has been updated, the person who entered the OSL order will receive an email from OSL confirming that your pending OSL order has been processed and this complete the ordering process.
Product keys (serial numbers) and license files information will be provided either on the email confirmation or you can access the information by viewing your OSL order receipt.